Skip To Main Content

Dual Enrollment FAQ

  • What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual enrollment is an academic program for qualified high school students allowing them to take prescribed college courses and earn both high school and college credit.

  • Who is eligible for dual enrollment?

Eligible students must have completed their freshman year of high school and for academic courses have earned a minimum of a cumulative 3.0 GPA.  Eligible students for career technical courses must have earned a cumulative 2.5 GPA and have completed their freshman year of high school.

For English 101 and Math 112 (Precaluculus) students must also have earned the required ACCUPLACER or ACT sub score in order to be eligible to register.  Currently a student must have a minimum of an 18 on the English section of the ACT and a 20 on the Math section of the ACT with a C or above in Algebra 2 Trig or Precalculus in order to place into these classes.

  • Where can HHS students participate in dual enrollment?

Hoover High School has dual enrollment contracts with Jefferson State Community College, Lawson State Community College, UAB, UA Early College, Montevallo, and Auburn University.  Most HHS student participate in dual enrollment through Jefferson State because many of those courses are offered on our campus and taught by HHS and Jefferson State faculty.  Students also have the option to take online courses or traditional courses at local campuses if it works out with their HHS class schedule.  

  • What are the steps for applying to take dual enrollment classes?

Step 1 - Talk to your grade level counselor or Mrs. Bond to confirm eligibility and to ensure that the class you want to take is eligible for dual credit.

Step 2 - Apply for admission using the dual enrollment application found on the college's website.

Step 3 - Complete the signature page with both the student's and the parent/guardian signature and turn it in to Mrs. Bond

Step 4 - Provide documentation of the approved placement test score if needed (English and math only)

  • Where do I take a placement test if I do not already have the required ACT?

The college has a testing office that will administer the required ACCUPLACER placement test. This is only required for English and math dual enrollment classes and must be achieved prior to the beginning of classes.  JSCC class placement requirements

  •  Which dual enrollment class are taught on-campus at Hoover High School?

English 101 (English 11)
English 102 (English 12)
History 201 (US History 10)
History 202 (US History 11)
Math 112 (Pre-Calculus Algebra)
Math 113 (Pre-Calculus Trig)
Math 120 (Calculus and its Applications)
EMT 118/119 (Health Science elective with the ability to certify as an EMT upon graduation)

  • How will the college communicate with the dual enrollment student?

Once a student applies as a dual enrollment student, the college will email a student ID number and information on how to sign in to the student portal and email for the college.  The college will send information to the dual enrollment student through the college email.  HHS dual enrollment students are expected to check their HHS and college email on a daily basis.

  • How do I request accommodations for a dual enrollment class? More information is available on the JSCC ADA website,

All disability documentation must be submitted to the ADA Office.  When to self-identify as a student with a disability is a decision for the student.  However, prospective students are encouraged to contact the ADA Office for information regarding services and facilities.  If accommodations are needed for placement testing, disability documentation must be on file in the ADA Office.

  • Step #1:  Arrange an appointment with the ADA Director. It is advisable to make an initial appointment well before the semester begins by calling or e-mailing the ADA Office.  Appointments can be made for the Jefferson, Shelby-Hoover, St. Clair - Pell City and Chilton - Clanton Campuses.
  • Step #2:  Provide documentation to verify eligibility for services.  Typically, a licensed psychologist, physician, or other appropriate professional provides the evaluation, diagnosis and recommended accommodations in a detailed report.  The ADA Office is responsible for determining the acceptability of documentation and reserves the right to require additional information to determine the nature and impact of an individual’s disability.  Also, the ADA Office maintains the right to reject documentation that does not verify a student’s disability or delineates reasonable accommodations.
  • Step #3:  The ADA Office recommends reasonable accommodations by preparing a letter addressed to the instructor of each class for which accommodations were requested.  It is then the responsibility of the student to:
    • 1. Obtain accommodation letters from the ADA Office at the beginning of each semester.
    • 2. Deliver accommodation letters to each instructor discussing arrangements.
    • 3. Contact each instructor several days before accommodations such as extended test time and reduced distraction testing are needed.  Complete the Test Proctoring Form only if instructor is unable to proctor your test.
    • 4. Report any concerns about accommodations to the ADA Office as soon as possible.

The JSCC ADA Office maintains all documents relating to a student's disability. They are regarded with the strictest confidentiality. No personal document will be released without written permission of the student.

  • How do I access an online dual enrollment class?

Dual enrollment students will access an online dual enrollment class through the student portal on the college website. 

  • Where do I pay tution and fees for dual enrollment?

The student will log in to their student portal on the college website to pay tution.  The tuition for dual enrollment courses is paid directly to the college and must be paid by the college payment deadline.

  • How do I request the dual enrollment transcript be sent to my college following graduation?

Following graduation and once final transcripts are sent to the colleges a dual enrollment student will complete the transcript request form on the college website. The college will send the transcript to the college for the student.  Jefferson State transcript Request Form